Freedom House monitors, strengthens, and defends democracy worldwide through programs that support frontline activists, research, and advocacy. We are leaders in identifying threats to civil liberties and political rights, and never in our 78-year history has our work mattered more.
This is a temporary internship based in Washington, D.C. with a $500.00/month stipend.
The Advocacy Intern will support Freedom House’s work with congressional offices, Executive Branch agencies, and external audiences. This position reports directly to the Advocacy Associate.
- Intern must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university. Individuals not currently enrolled are not eligible.
- Must be available a minimum of 30 hours per week
- Political science, public policy, international relations, or marketing/communications majors preferred
- Experience working for or with Congress preferred
- Knowledge of the U.S. legislative system and processes
- Interest in and knowledge of democracy issues
- Excellent internet research and documentation skills
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize and multi-task to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to conduct oneself with appropriate comportment around high-level government officials
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with outreach to congressional offices
- Attend congressional hearings and briefings and compile notes
- Research and track congressional activity on democracy issues
- Assist with the creation and distribution of external content for Freedom House, including advocacy materials, a bi-monthly newsletter, and website and social media content
- Update and maintain our internal contacts database
- Assemble contact lists and other spreadsheets in Excel
- Assist with event planning and scheduling, including staffing of events
- Other administrative duties and responsibilities as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants:
We invite qualified candidates to submit an online application and upload a resume and cover letter. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.