Freedom House (FH) seeks candidates to serve as a Business Development Manager or Senior Business Development Manager, depending on experience. Freedom House is a non-profit organization that promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits, including a 10% match on retirement accounts.
The Business Development Manager position will lead the organization’s efforts to successfully propose programs to public sector donors, including the United States government (USAID and State Department). The position is in the Strategy, Development and Learning (SDL) team, which supports activities across the organization. SDL facilitates the development of around 75 proposals per year that are written primarily by the regional and research teams in Freedom House’s 150-person organization.
FH is selective and strategic in its business development and the SDL team (including this position) works closely with other teams on business development efforts tailored to FH’s mission and expertise. This position will work with six teams across the organization to: develop insights about the USG’s and other public sector donors’ programmatic and strategic priorities, identify funding opportunities, and determine which opportunities to pursue; manage the proposal development and submission process; contribute to organizational strategy and the coherence of FH’s approach as an evidence-driven organization.
Specific duties include:
Business Relations and Positioning (up to 30% time)
- Collaborate with staff in all three FH divisions - Research/Analysis, Advocacy/Communications, and International Programs - on planning and strategy for new funding opportunities. This may involve international travel several times a year
- Keep abreast of trends in public donor strategic and programmatic priorities, and participate in donor and peer organization strategy and learning activities
- Analyze win/loss trends and work with the SVP of International Programs and the Senior Director for Strategy, Development and Learning on strategies for more successful funding proposals
- Solicit donor feedback and perspectives on FH performance in order to design and implement new strategies based on this feedback
Proposal Development (up to 50% time)
- Ensure the clarity, consistency, and quality of the proposal development process, coordinating cross-division teams and supervising the proposal coordinator
- Work with the SDL team to further standardize the proposal development process
- Lead program design including facilitating proposal team kickoff meetings, reviewing logframes, ensuring the incorporation of evidence and standard FH approaches in proposals, assisting with proposal writing and editing on an as-needed basis
- Facilitate feedback on losses and coordinate SDL’s pre-award support to the regional or functional teams in design revision, budgeting, and the integration of innovative technical and MEL approaches.
- Train staff in proposal writing, logframe development, and the FH approach to activity design
Organizational Strategy and Approach (up to 20% time)
- Work with the SDL team to communicate and enforce policies and procedures
- Participate in the development of the organization’s signature approach to programs and help socialize that approach throughout the organization. This includes participating in SDL’s tailoring recommendations for social and behavioral change approaches to advocacy, complexity-aware design and MEL principles, and systems-thinking as applied to civil society partners.
- Support the Senior Director for Strategy, Development and Learning in integrating the above approaches into proposals and strategies
- Participate in the implementation of organization-wide initiatives related to new business development
- At least seven years’ (Business Development Manager) or 10 years’ (Senior Business Development Manager) experience working in international development; democracy, rights and governance experience required
- At least two years’ professional experience abroad
- At least two years’ experience in business development and/or proposal writing. Evidence of success in winning proposals will be requested of finalists
- Knowledge of USAID and U.S. State Department award development processes and rules and regulations
- Outstanding English written communication and editing skills
- Experience facilitating trainings and group decision-making processes
- Experience collaborating with diverse teams
- Professional networks that include USAID and the State Department and other public sector donors
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines
- Experience contributing to organizational strategy and change processes
- Demonstrated computer literacy and experience with a variety of business applications and project management software
- BA/BS in public administration, international relations or a related field required. Post-graduate degree preferred for Senior Business Development Manager
- Evidence of relevant training or other formal qualifications will be requested of finalists
The information contained in this description indicates the general nature and expectations of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job, and cannot reasonably encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by their supervisor.