The information contained in this description indicates the general nature and expectations of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job, and cannot reasonably encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by their supervisor.
Experienced Business Analyst to assist in the management of Freedom House’s annual budget, budget forecasts, comparison of budgeted versus actual, treasury operations, database development, and business enhancement for a mid-sized NGO with an annual budget over $40 million.
Position works with the supervisor, finance personnel, and other business managers to develop and monitor Freedom House’s departmental budgets that includes international programs, publications, fundraising and business development, and other overhead departments. Responsible for performing analyses of budgeted versus actual spending from funding sources such as the US federal government, corporations, foundations, and other international public agencies.
Assists in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual budget reports, cash management reports, federal and non-federal drawdown operations, enhancing and developing database, analyzing and improving business workflow processes, ongoing analyses of the institution’s financial position, and research related to various regulatory and compliance requirements.
Position reports to the Director of Finance. Peers includes the Accounting Manager, Senior Finance Officers and programmatic business managers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Collaborate with finance and other various non-finance department business managers to maintain accurate analyses of budgeted versus actual spending and budget forecasting
- Perform quantitative analyses and manipulate data provided by financial reports generated by the organization’s accounting software
- Assist in the management of daily treasury operations
- Assist in the development and maintenance of internal financial reporting and budgeting tools
- Assist in the development and maintenance of financial workflow and award management systems
- Assist in the preparation of the internal and external monthly, quarterly, and annual internal and external financial status reports, cash flow reports for the executive management and the organization’s Board of Trustees
- Collaborate with the business development team, regional program teams, and other departments in the development of proposal budgets for the organization’s business ventures
- Assist in the research of regulatory and compliance requirements of the organization’s broad donor pool
- Assist the supervisor on the organization’s daily cash management functions
- Assume responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, integrity, and security of assigned grants-related data and reports
- Resolve all work-related problems promptly, and use good judgment in escalating important issues
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business with emphasis in accounting or finance
Training or Certification:
- Expertise in USG Circulars (OMB A-110, OMB A-122, 22 CFR 226, 22 CFR 228 and 22 CFR145, 2 CFR 200/600/700) including any and all updates/changes to these circulars.
- Two to four years of finance, accounting, or related experience
- Two to four years’ experience with ERP solutions
- Two years of experience in public accounting or international non-profit finance
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Strong ability to understand financial statements and perform financial statement analyses
- Strong ability to rollup financial data to create simplified financial reports
- Ability to communicate effectively in a second relevant language is desirable
- Experience using enterprise accounting software required, Deltek CostPoint preferred
- High level of proficiency with Adobe and MS Office applications, and expert knowledge of PowerPoint, Word, and higher level Excel functions (Macros, multi-table/multi-workbook indexing, conditional formatting, complex formulas)
- Strong knowledge of MS Access database design and functionality strongly desired
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. federal regulations for assistance awards
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding sensitive data at all times
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error-free work
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to travel independently and complete tasks in unfamiliar countries and regions
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work product, both that which is produced by the individual and that of the team, often requiring the adherence to tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a client-service focus, and ability to respond promptly to inquiries in a courteous and professional manner. Must be able to successfully work collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies, many of whom may have limited or no understanding of accounting.
Attributes and Characteristics:
- Maintains an awareness and understanding of human rights and democracy promotion.
- Ability to represent Freedom House professionally in conduct and personal appearance.
- Strong personal character, an individual who can maintain the highest degree of confidentiality and exhibits unquestionable integrity, honesty, and forthrightness.
- Demonstrate strong desire for excellence, and desire to inspire others to attain professional excellence
- Assess own strengths and weaknesses; pursue training and development opportunities; strive to continuously build knowledge and skills
- Work as an effective team member, successfully balance individual and team responsibilities
- Internal: U.S. and field employees throughout Freedom House
- External: Vendors, financial institutions, tax and regulatory authorities, auditors, etc.
General Working Conditions:
- General working office environment
- Some evening and weekend hours to complete tasks or attend events
- Travel to work or vendor sites as required, estimated to be less than 1% of the time.
- Position functions in a normal office environment. Individual will work at a desk outfitted with computer, telephone and file storage. During the workday, the individual will stand, walk, bend over, reach overhead, use hands, wrists and fingers to grasp, push, pull, move, handle, feel, and type; individual may periodically need to lift and/or move file storage (up to 25lbs.) to waist height.