Program Specialist/Iran Programs
|Work Location:||Washington, DC - US|
|# of Openings:||1|
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Iran Program Specialist will help manage a team of digital investigators and will report on their work internally and externally. He/she also will provide programmatic support including administrative, research, writing, translating, reporting, and data analysis to the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) team. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Iran Program Officer and Director for MENA programs. Verbal and written English and Farsi language fluency is required. This is a nonexempt position. Position holder must obtain written authorization from his/her supervisor before working in excess of 40 hours in a work-week.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
• Oversee digital help desk. Under the supervision of the Iran program officer and the MENA director, manage a team of digital investigators and coordinate the daily operation of a digital investigations help desk. This includes supporting digital investigators on research and analysis of coordinated disinformation campaigns and online harassment cases, communicating with partners and consultants on ongoing investigations, ensuring that partner/consultant deliverables are provided on time and on budget, and providing data for monitoring and evaluation of help desk activities and their impact.
• Report on help desk activities. Report to supervisors on help desk activities and progress and serve as liaison between the digital investigations help desk and digital literacy campaigners
• Translation. Translate various materials including reports, press releases, articles, and social media posts.
• External research/analysis. Regularly track and share information with team members on key developments in the field of disinformation, technology, and human rights
• Additional duties. Maintain program files, folders, and databases for secure and easy access and retrieval, and manage other related duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, International Relations, Human Rights, Technology, Communications, or related field
• 2-3 years related experience or combination of education, training, internship, and experience
Skills and Competencies:
• Fluency in English and Farsi, both verbally and in writing is required
• Strong understanding of the Farsi media landscape, including traditional and social media
• Knowledge of the Farsi online environment on Telegram, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook
• Literate on the concepts of disinformation, digital literacy, and online harassment
• Demonstrated skills in research and analysis
• Solid interpersonal and team building skills
• Strong knowledge of human rights, democracy, and technology, with a focus on Iran
• Strong understanding of history, culture, politics and regional dynamics of the MENA region, Iran in particular
• Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Ability to apply accurate and strong database and records management skills
• Ability to accept and complete administrative tasks with a positive and proactive attitude
• Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task to meet tight deadlines
• Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error free work
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and meet all goals and deadlines
• Ability to collaborate with others and successfully work as an effective team member
• Ability to interact comfortably with Freedom House staff as well as representatives and delegations from outside the organization
• Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified And Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results