Position: Resident Mentor (Volunteer)
Reports to: Compañeros En Salud Director
Location: Chiapas, Mexico
Partners In Health (PIH) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Boston, MA, whose mission is to provide quality health care for the poor and marginalized in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Dominican Republic, and Navajo Nation. In addition, PIH has a growing network of affiliated organizations and initiatives in several other countries, including Nepal, Burundi, Mali, Liberia, and Togo. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works around the globe to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need of it, to serve as an antidote to despair, and inspire others to do the same.
This is an exciting time for PIH. We are taking on immense challenges, and a newfound visibility has brought the opportunity to influence great change on the global stage. PIH seeks individuals committed to the mission and values (see PIH Values) of the organization to join the team.
Compañeros En Salud seeks medical residents for rotations of 3 weeks or more. Resident Mentor Volunteers will assist in training Mexican social service year physicians and implementing quality improvement programs in the CES catchment area.
Overall responsibilities: Resident volunteers will assist in training Mexican social service year physicians and implementing quality improvement programs in the CES catchment area.
- Provide one-on-one bedside teaching for CES social service year physicians in rural Secretaria de Salud and Instituto Mexicano de Seguro Social clinics. Review exam and diagnostic skills, and discuss treatment regimens for a wide range of primary care issues, with a special focus on one’s area of expertise.
- Reinforce CES clinical algorithms for diagnosis and treatment of common primary care issues.
- Where appropriate/desired, include nurses in these teaching discussions.
- Where scheduling permits, provide group instruction at monthly courses at the CES office.
- Participate in other CES activities such as outreach brigades, training or assisting acompañantes.
- Note potential areas for quality improvement; propose and discuss solutions with the CES team. Participante in QI projects as desired.
- Resident in Emergency, Family, Medicine, Med/Peds, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, or Primary Care
- High level of Spanish comprehension and speaking proficiency; preferably with experience using Spanish in a clinical setting
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to rural conditions, i.e. experience working in a resource poor or rural setting, or experience camping
- Demonstrated commitment to service, i.e. community projects, global health projects or long-term volunteering
- Interest in teaching
- Availability for a minimum of 3 weeks