Java Application Server Engineer - WebSphere ~
|Location:||Costco Corporate Office|
|# of openings:||1|
Description of position
This position is responsible for the support, design, installation, configuration, and monitoring of Java Application and Web servers.
These servers run primarily on Red Hat Linux as well as some IBM AIX hosts.
This is not a Developer position.
Tasks and responsibilities
● Work with architects, line of business, and other project members to create middleware solutions that
○ is in alignment with Costco standards
○ meets the needs of the project
○ fits within industry best practices
○ protects our internal and external customers from risk
● Leads large, complex projects to achieve key business objectives
● Support, analyze, and make performance or capacity recommendations as necessary
● Provide technical guidance and leadership to team members
● Serve as the third level escalation point for all issues not resolved by the other support staff
● Analyze all aspects of the existing infrastructure and recommend modifications that will enhance system reliability,
availability, serviceability and scalability
● Perform logical and physical design (HA, multi-jvm, and multi-cell)
● Research new and developing technology and their applicability to the environments
● Develop and document existing or new procedures as well as creating and maintaining project documentation.
● Provide operational support for WebSphere Application Server, IBM HTTP Server (IHS) and other products supported by the
● Deliver project based work to agreed target dates. Work with appropriate teams to resolve roadblocks.
● Work with vendors, business and appdev teams, and other technical teams to meet the needs of the project.
● Installation, configuration and monitoring of all application and web servers.
● Participate in rotating on-call support 24x7 and be available to work weekends and/or holidays, as necessary.
● Collaborate with other engineers to develop and tune middleware standards.
● Provide guidance and peer review of project deliverables.
● Manage information repositories to ensure they are being updated appropriately.
● Lead initiatives to improve team standards and processes, develop best practices, and review platform specific security
threats to determine appropriate action.
● Seek opportunities to learn, automate, document, share, educate, and improve processes where appropriate.
● Follow corporate security standards and best practices, including the ongoing promotion of awareness on current threats.
● Understand and adhere to Costco’s project methodology and framework.
● Understand and adhere to Costco’s Mission Statement and Code of Ethics.
Required skills and abilities
● Minimum of 4 years experience supporting products running on AIX, Linux or other UNIX variants
● Minimum of 2 years shell scripting.
● Minimum of 5 years supporting production java application server environments, preferably IBM WebSphere but will accept
WebLogic, JBoss, Tomcat, Oracle AppServer, or iPlanet experience.
● Proficient with operating system utilities such as vi, top/topas, crontab, nslookup, ifconfig, and ssh.
● Team player – friendly, communicative, open, honest, thoughtful and committed. Must work cooperatively with others,
sharing ideas and collaborating and ultimately putting team goals first.
● Excellent Leadership abilities, able to persuade and get consensus on ideas
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Willing to learn and support third party applications.
● Advanced networking knowledge
● LDAP/Oracle/DB2/MQ integration
● Experience with enterprise level monitoring tools
● Strong Performance tuning skills
● Security experience including SSL certificates, hardening, PEN tests, etc.
● Jython, JACL, and/or PERL scripting
Preferred skills, abilities, and certifications
● Unix administration or certification
● IBM WebSphere Application Server certification
● WebSphere Commerce Server experience
To Apply: Use the link below to upload your currect resume and cover letter http://tbe.taleo.net/NA1/ats/careers/jobSearch.jsp?org=COSTCO&cws=1 If hired, you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States. Offers of employment are expressly contingent upon successful completion of an alcohol/drug test and background investigation.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results