Business Development Manager
|Location:||IL - Chicago|
|Employment Type:||Full time|
We are currently seeking a Business Development Manager to focus on the firm’s business development efforts with existing and new clients to contribute to the firm’s revenue and profitability. Responsibilities will include oversight for and involvement in the research function, pitch and RFP responses, directory submissions, business development training, and client targeting and development; supporting and coaching practice group leaders and individual attorneys on business development efforts and annual strategic planning and budgets; managing and developing a team of Business Development Specialists & maintaining oversight for practice group-related materials (RFP responses and capabilities statements, website, experience, directories, etc.). Reporting to our CMO, primary responsibilities include the following:
· Team management - Manages and mentors Business Development Specialists, who are assigned to specific practice groups, and the department’s Research Analyst.
· Practice group business planning - In coordination with the CMO, collaborates with Practice Group Leaders and firm leadership in developing and executing business development strategies, including the planning and execution of new business and cross-selling opportunities. Tracks and follows up on opportunities.
· Business development – proactively translates his/her understanding of firm’s strategy and capabilities into opportunities by leveraging research tools, CRM, analysis of trends, and other resources. Develops action plans for groups and individuals and provides accountability, support, and implementation.
· Attorney coaching – provides coaching to attorneys and groups on specific opportunities, as well as on the legal marketing/BD discipline. Along with CMO, develops curriculum and training tools on best practices for relationship and client development.
· Capability materials - Oversees the maintenance of capability materials and establishes experience database and collection protocols.
· Response generation - Oversees the preparation of new business presentations, pitch books, responses to RFPs/RFIs, and other business development presentations. Contributes original writing or oversees development of written materials.
· Directory and other submissions - Oversees the Chambers submission process, providing direction to BD Specialists, as well as other submissions as necessary.
· Research - Directs research function to support client and competitor analysis, trend reporting, and opportunity finding.
· Thought leadership, content strategy and PR – Works with Director of Marketing and Communication and BD team to identify thought leadership, media and other content opportunities, and helps to implement related strategies.
· Events – collaborates with the events team on BD-related aspects to events, including sponsorships, event attendees, program development, presence at events, and follow-up.
This position requires an enterprising and self-directed leader and at least seven years of leadership experience in a law firm handling business development, competitive intelligence and strategic planning functions. The successful candidate will have a proven track record in motivating, mentoring and building a team. Attention to detail and a strong work ethic required. The ability to effectively communicate to all levels of firm personnel is a must.
In addition to a demonstrated ability to working in a team environment, the position requires experience in developing and executing strategic marketing initiatives, identifying business development opportunities, conducting and coordinating research on business targets, and assisting at the executive level in developing business development strategies. Some travel to firm offices may be required. This is an exempt position and it may be necessary to work outside of regular business hours (9 am - 5 pm) at times. A Bachelor’s degree is required.
Schiff Hardin is committed to equal employment opportunity and diversity in the workplace. We maintain a policy of considering all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, citizenship status, order of protection status, national origin, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, source of income, military or veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Vets/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Applying as a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results