LendingClub’s Legal Department is seeking a full-time, highly motivated Director of Legal Operations in our San Francisco headquarters. This new position will report to the SVP, Legal and will be responsible for building, implementing and leading a company-wide legal operations function.
You will lead the consistent delivery of legal programs and services that improve the purpose and values of LendingClub and lead the legal team responsible for finance, technology, systems and solutions, records, project, supplier and law firm management initiatives. You will work with other legal leaders in strategy design and delivery, as well as on programs and tools that effectively deliver legal service to enable speed to market, revenue opportunities and risk mitigation. You will partner closely with the entire Legal team and Finance partners along with operations and other shared services functions. You will interact regularly with all levels of the business. You are a team player with the flexibility and skill level to handle a wide range of projects.
- Strategy and Goals: Working with legal department leadership to set and execute legal department short and long-term strategy, as well as annual legal department goals.
- Financial Management: Manage all legal department programs including budgeting, forecasting, and budget variance analysis and, in this capacity, will need strong expertise in internal accounting, matter management, and electronic billing systems. Evaluate results of departmental spend against comparable outside organizations to more effectively control overall costs. Lead the legal department’s relationships with the Finance function, providing overall leadership and direction for the legal department's administrative finance activities.
- Collaborate with department staff, management committee executive assistant, and HR to lead legal department recognition program, budget and spend.
- Systems and Technology: Handle development and execution of overall systems and technology strategy to identify, implement and optimize systems and processes such as matter management, e-billing, invention disclosure systems, e-discovery tools, patent assessment and tracking and payment tools, document and contract management tools.
- Manage the department's relationship with the IT function, providing overall leadership and direction for legal department administrative IT activities globally.
- Communication and Department Interaction: Responsible for working with department leadership to communicate effectively within the department, as well as outside of the department.
- Manage Legal Department communications and materials, staff meetings, and global meetings in collaboration with executive assistant.
- Policies and Processes: Responsible for establishing, implementing, and maintaining legal department operation policies and processes.
- Outside Counsel/Vendor Management: Create and implement strategies to control external counsel and/or vendor expenses by assessing and managing vendor performance, tracking and reporting actual expenses against forecast, and utilizing alternative fee approaches, evaluations and process outsourcing.
- Knowledge Management: Develop and implement systems technologies for efficiently building, storing, and sharing departmental work product and intellectual capital, including content provided by outside law firms retained by the department. Manages records retention, administrative services, and the support infrastructure for the legal department.
You will be able to perform the above responsibilities successfully and have the following experience:
- BA or BS degree
- At least 10 years of experience working as a supervisor or manager and also supporting in-house teams or law firm;
- A combination of law firm and in-house experience at a high tech, financial services or fin-tech company is strongly preferred;
- Strong work ethic, good judgment and professional maturity;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and effective oral and written communication skills in a multicultural environment;
- Flexible, with ability to multi-task, prioritize projects and manage deadlines;
- Project Management Professional, Program Management Professional, or Certified Project Management a plus
- Well organized self-starter who is proactive in soliciting and taking on projects and solving problems;
- Possesses a working balance of both efficiency and detail-orientation;
- Impeccable integrity;
- Exhibits grace in stressful situations and thrives in a rapidly changing environment; and
- Good sense of humor.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.