Manager, Bridges -Transportation
|Secondary Location:||Ottawa (Queensview Drive)|
|Job Type:||Permanent - Full Time|
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 37,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we’re proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Manager Bridges for our Transportation business line, located at in Ottawa. This position will lead a team of professionals, technicians, and support staff in the delivery of our bridge program in the area. Reporting directly to the Discipline Director the candidate will provide technical, management and financial leadership, as well as client management to our business practice. As a member of the Transportation group, you will be given opportunities to apply your education and experience on complex projects. You will be challenged to manage multiple priorities, multiple projects, meet tight deadlines, and maintain a very high quality. The candidate should have a demonstrated ability to lead a team of professionals with excellent communication skills both internally with staff and externally with clients. The candidate should also have experience with business development, client interactions and project delivery.
· Accountability for the overall performance of the department under their direction, including meeting established revenue and profitability targets, effective management of invoicing, accounts receivable and other financial metrics.
· Develop technical expertise for the execution of projects. Provide leadership and mentoring in the development of technical staff.
· Provide leadership and expertise with client management.
· Responsibility for overall resource management, including recruitment, team building, staff development and performance management. Implement and track career development plans for staff within the department to support skills development, effective succession management, career pathing and staff retention. Responsible for the salary review process for the unit in collaboration with business line management and the HR department.
· Working with Team Leads/Project Managers to monitor the overall performance of projects being undertaken by the department, ensuring effective and proactive management of project finances, scope, schedule, quality and effective client service. Provide leadership and support to ensure consistent and effective use of corporate project management tools. (e.g.Project Status Reports (PSR))
· Working with the Discipline Director as part of the Discipline management team, to establish discipline-specific strategies, budgets, goals and objectives consistent with, and supportive of, broader Business Line and Corporate strategies.
· Supporting business improvement and growth initiatives, providing effective leadership and change management to engage staff.
· Working with the Regional Lead and Discipline Director on the coordination of business development efforts within the Region, including the building, managing and maintaining of client relationships. Through these strong relationships the manager will help to identify opportunities in the project pipeline and gather data/insights to support preparation of effective proposals. Engage staff in BD initiatives as appropriate.
· Monitoring and managing overall workload and staffing levels within the department to maintain overall utilization at desirable levels. Work with the Discipline Director and other managers to support inter-office collaboration and resource/work sharing to balance workloads and meet project delivery objectives across the Discipline.
· Driving productivity, motivation, and performance. Ensure compliance with established quality and production procedures. Provide leadership to sustain a culture of continual improvement and client satisfaction.
· Uphold the company’s core values and maintain Health and Safety at the highest level.
· While the Department Manager is involved in some billable work, their utilization and project commitments must be managed to ensure an appropriate level of attention to their primary management and leadership responsibilities.
· Other duties as assigned/required.
· University or college degree in Civil Engineering with a specialization in the field bridge structures;
· Eligible for membership as Professional Engineer in Ontario
· Minimum 10 years of experience working in an engineering and project management capacity on detailed design assignments for bridges for the MTO, the City of Ottawa, or other municipalities within Ontario
· 5+ years of managing and mentoring technical staff
· Experience within an engineering consulting environment is preferred;
· Strong leadership, negotiation, communication and customer relationship skills are essential;
· Ability to communicate effectively (both verbally and written) with the internal and external clients and stakeholders, and build well-developed teams and positive relationships;
· Excellent technical, interpersonal and teamwork skills
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about our firm and the projects we have been involved in, please visit our World of Possibilities microsite.
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
Company: WSP Canada Inc.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results