WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 42,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP, we’re proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Project Accountant to join our Finance Team, located at our Edmonton, AB office. The Project Accountant (“PA”) provides support to Project Managers and is responsible for maintaining a portfolio of projects through the project life cycle. Reporting to the Business Unit Controller, the role of the PA is to provide knowledge and understanding of contracts and agreements to ensure accurate, timely and complete information for all accounting activities from project set-up, cost recording, revenue recognition, project forecasting and project closure while leveraging the project management system to its fullest extent. Other requirements of the role include ensuring projects are properly setup to accurately reflect the contractual terms and as sold margins, participate in month end reviews, coordinate revenue adjustments as required and provide analysis on variances to Project Managers and the National Business Line Controllers
- Provide support and oversight on a portfolio of projects with multiple PMs across business units
- Attend regular meetings with Project Delivery Team on the financial status of projects
- Lead the financial review for projects to ensure compliance with accounting standards and corporate policies
- Assist PM’s through the financial lifecycle of a project (i.e. setup, monitoring, updating and closure)
- Accurately reflect a projects’ financial status by ensuring timely recording of all cost and revenue transactions
- Ensure project is setup and updated accurately and mirrors the as-sold price, cost and margin of the contract, and that addendums/change orders and PO’s support the contract value loaded in the system
- Work with the Project Delivery Team to ensure timely project reviews are performed, ETCs and EACs prepared and updated and any financial issues related to earnings, cash-flow, and reporting are addressed
- Assess project financial risks and assist in updating the project risk register and revenue adjustment forms as needed
- Train and educate project delivery team on the use of project analysis tools, dashboards, Vision, etc.
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of the company’s revenue and costing methodologies and provides expertise to the Project Delivery Team
- Assist with external and internal project audit requirements
- Understand commercial, billing and payment terms on the project and act as a liaison with the Billing team to ensure invoices are prepared and sent to the client in a timely manner
- Assist Controllers with project related reserves as required (i.e. Estimate at Completion adjustments, Accounts Receivable, Work in Progress, Legal claims) and proformas
- Coordinate with Controllers in maintaining the Risk and Opportunities log
- Support Controllers during month end close as required
- Prepare and analyze variances pertaining to cost and revenue
- Review backup documentation and track all monthly adjustments as required by BUCs
- Provide financial assistance as required during the bid and pursuit phase as required
- Prepare ad hoc financial reports for Controllers and Management
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline
- Accounting designation preferred but work experience required
- 5-10 years’ work experience with relevance to project finance
- Experience in all project accounting, billing, reporting, etc
- Experience with working on ERP systems with specific project management modules
- Good understanding of Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office products
- Champions integrity and trust, coupled with strong work-ethics and is able to multi-tasks and juggle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Displays self-awareness and ability to deal with ambiguity
- Good communication, problem solving, critical thinking, and organization skills with ability to execute
- Good understanding of accounting standards and policies
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about our firm and the projects we have been involved in, please visit our World of Possibilities microsite.
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
Company: WSP Canada Inc.