WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 34,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we’re proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a VP Transportation to join the leadership team in Western Canada. Reporting to the VP Operations, Transportation Canada and working with the National Business Line Executive, Transportation, the VP Transportation for Western Canada provides leadership and strategic direction for the Transportation business line across Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Responsible for 350 staff and revenues of $50 million CAD, primary responsibilities include financial, sales, project delivery, quality, client service, safety, and people performance of the Western Canadian Transportation business. Delivering revenue of over $250M in 2016, Transportation represents the largest Canadian business portfolio for WSP Canada. This is therefore a unique opportunity to grow an existing business as part of our strategic plan that already offers innovative, value-engineered solutions that draw on decades of experience, through your valuable experience building a discipline across provinces/territories and through your understanding of the challenges and risks of this sector. This role ensures coordination of efforts across provinces and other business lines, and as such, you will have significant demonstrable experience optimizing the financial, commercial, and project delivery performance of an existing business, developing plans, programs and organizational objectives to enhance margins, workforce utilization, and cash generation enabling the growth of the business and ensuring client satisfaction. All activities are undertaken in support of the WSP Canada strategic plan.
- Develops the Western Canada strategic and operating plans in collaboration with the business line executive, the business line finance leader, and beyond;
- Provides leadership by communicating the vision, strategy, operating plan, budgets and targets, engaging all business line operational and project management employees in achieving the objectives of the business line;
- Responsible for optimizing the performance of the disciplines operations, including, project margin, staff utilization, DSO, and general administration costs;
- With key support by the business line finance leader, forecasts the business line’s financial performance, ensuring accurate revenue recognition and preparation of monthly/ quarterly/annual forecasts;
- Leads business development efforts for Transportation in the Region by meeting with clients in the context of projects to be realized or the development of potential markets and ensures acceptable returns on the investments, aligned with the business line strategy and its backlog and sales targets;
- Builds relationships with key clients, industry organizations, teaming partners, and stakeholders to identify opportunities and grow the business;
- Collaborates with peers nationally and in other geographies to leverage technical expertise, ensure client satisfaction and implement best practices;
- Allocates business development resources and investments to deliver acceptable returns on the business development investments, aligned with the business line strategy and its backlog and sales targets;
- With the Risk Committee, defines contracting strategies, commercial terms and measures to manage and mitigate risk during key pursuit processes including interacting directly with customers during negotiations;
- Provides guidance and direction to market sector managers and business line district managers to ensure operational and project delivery excellence;
- Conducts regular project reviews to ensure budget, schedule, risk, and cost to complete estimates are in order;
- Guides and directs leaders on measures to mitigate project performance issues and risks, ensuring successful delivery on the contractual commitments and financial targets for the project portfolio in order to meet client expectations and achieve or exceed profitability targets for the business line;
- Works closely with the finance, quality, legal/risk, and project delivery shared services to advance project management tools such as project status reports, ensuring the design meets business line requirements and proper deployment and utilization within the business line;
- Ensures collaboration within the business line and across the business lines to ensure effective resource sharing, workload/resource balancing and to bring the best the business line has to bear to meet the needs of clients;
- Responsible for managing and developing employees in accordance with WSP core values, the performance management program and the job architecture and job family structure, including supporting the identification and retention of and investment in top talent;
- Ensures a high degree of employee engagement and low turnover of staff by fostering a high performance culture;
- Visibly champions the WSP programs of safety and ethics & compliance to ensure they are an overriding part of the organizational culture;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Bachelor's degree in business, engineering or other technical discipline. Master’s degree (M. Eng., M. Sc.A., MBA) is considered a plus;
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience managing in the engineering or related sector, with at least 10 years of management experience at the senior level of a leading multidisciplinary firm in the market;
- A strong and sustained history of delivering quality financial performance and results;
- A proven track record of developing business with existing and new clients, as well as experience in interfacing with municipal, provincial, and federal agencies, and the private sector;
- Demonstrated ability to strategically address growth opportunities and articulate evolving priorities in the market;
- Seen as a leader with a high and positive credibility factor;
- A strong reputation for uncompromising integrity;
- Demonstrated good judgment balanced with informed risk taking;
- Highly professional with strong written and oral communication skills;
- Comfortable with matrix management models;
- The ability to successfully lead with little direction to meet organizational goals;
- Confidence to influence a high caliber team to drive a business to higher performance levels and seize the opportunities presented internally and in the market;
- Advanced people and leadership skills to effectively manage relationships which may be indirect in order to achieve consensus, direction and achievement of results; and
- A track record of creating a climate where people want to do their best through working collaboratively, empowering teams to identify and solve problems, creating a clear sense of identity with the company, and holding teams accountable for meeting their collective goals;
- Must be open for 30% travel throughout Western Canada and also as required nationally;
- This position may require some international travel.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about our firm and the projects we have been involved in, please visit our World of Possibilities microsite.
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
Company: WSP Canada Inc.