WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 42,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP, we’re proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Project Engineer to join our Rail and Transit team in the Transportation Group, located at our Calgary office. Reporting to the Manager Rail and Transit – Western Canada, this position will be responsible for overseeing multiple aspects of heavy and light rail transit projects.
- Actively oversee preliminary and detailed designs related to heavy and light rail transit including but not limited to track alignments and grading work;
- Develop and prepare technical specifications for heavy and light rail infrastructure projects;
- Oversee and validate regulatory compliance of railway crossings and associated roadway designs;
- infrastructure inspection and contract administration, including but not limited to track, culverts, crossings, and bridges;
- Preparation, review and authenticating of drawings;
- Develop, prepare and deliver progress reports, proposals, level of effort requirements, feasibility studies, capital cost estimates and presentations;
- Facilitate client procurement through tender document creation, tender submission review and recommendation;
- Provide construction management support including review of submittals, QA/QC and liaising with the client;
- Establish and maintain good working relationships and communication with clients, department managers, project managers and team members;
- Liaison with all discipline members, sub-consultants, clients, and agencies;
- Stay up to date on changes with industry regulatory requirements.
- Graduation in the field of Engineering from an accredited university; Civil designation preferred
- P.Eng. (Eligible for membership with APEGA);
- 5+ years’ experience related to heavy and/or light rail infrastructure projects;
- Technical understanding, design experience, and up-to-date on rail and transit technologies and practices;
- Knowledge and understanding of all current and relevant standards, including but not limited to, AREMA, Transport Canada, Railway Safety Act;
- Experience with design of railway crossings and intersecting roadways would be considered an asset;
- Track and / or bridge construction or inspection experience would be considered an asset.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Excel and MS Project. Knowledge and familiarity with AutoCAD (Civil 3D);
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal oversight, take full responsibility for project deliverables;
- Ability to work on several projects at a time with multiple design teams;
- Excellent technical, interpersonal and teamwork skills; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about our firm and the projects we have been involved in, please visit our World of Possibilities website listed below.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.