HALIFAX / VANCOUVER
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 34,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP, we’re proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking to fill the position of Director of Port, Marine and Coastal Engineering (PMC) for our Transportation Business Line in our Vancouver/Halifax offices.
Our global team of specialists in diverse areas of port, maritime and coastal engineering is focused on the planning, design and construction of port facilities, maritime infrastructure and coastal facilities. We offer innovative, value-engineered solutions that draw on decades of experience and a thorough understanding of the challenges and risks of this multifaceted domain. We are committed to integrating the principles of environmental assessment and sustainable development into each and every stage of our projects. Our task as strategic partners is to help our clients make their vision a reality.
Reporting to the Vice-President for Ports, Marine & Coastal Engineering the Director of Port, Marine and Coastal Engineering will be responsible for assisting in the establishment and development of the new PMC business throughout Canada, and for the following:
- Promoting the business unit’s services to potential clients in the assigned territory, and working together with the other unit directors in business development;
- Coordinating business development efforts in Canada by meeting with clients in the context of projects to be realized or the development of potential markets;
- Coordinating the development of a centre of expertise in PMC and maritime project management, in particular through strategic recruitment and through a strategy for developing expertise within the team;
- Achieving interdisciplinary coordination with the various business units (structural, coastal engineering, industrial engineering, environmental, etc.);
- Determining project needs and participating in inter-office, inter-provincial and inter-regional (worldwide) coordination;
- Assisting project manager(s) in the business unit in establishing the scope of work, managing the implementation calendar, tracking project timetables in relation to objectives and specifications from the client’s specification document, and inspecting the quality of work carried out by third parties (Contractors);
- Acting as a resource person for the work team and tracking quality on the technical component of certain projects;
- Administering the budget for their market and performing budget planning for the next financial year;
- Ensuring the development of the team while respecting the budget framework allotted to their market;
- Applying the strategic plan and ensuring that it is kept up to date;
- For complex projects, supervising or implementing technical revisions of engineering drawings, expert reports and technical studies.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, industrial engineering or any other training deemed equivalent in the maritime domain;
- Twelve years or more of relevant experience in managing a business unit and in the domain of port and maritime engineering;
- Experience in engineering consultancy in Quebec and/or elsewhere in Canada;
- Licensed by the Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec, P.E.O., APEGGA
- Master’s degree (M. ing/Eng., M. Sc.A., MBA) is considered a plus;
- Concrete achievements and verifiable experience in business development/management of corporate accounts;
- Relevant experience in supervising staff;
- Proven leadership, ability to work under high pressure and a sense of urgency;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Bilingual: spoken and written communication skills (English/French) (an asset).
- Must be open for occasional travel throughout the assigned territory.
Please note that all offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about this position, our firm and the projects we have been involved in, or to apply to this position, please visit our website:
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.