WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 34,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP, we’re proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Sustainability and Energy Consultant to join our Sustainability and Energy Team, located at our Ottawa office. Reporting to the department manager this position will be responsible for executing work on new or existing building sustainability and energy efficiency projects that will range in type, size and complexity, to achieve project objectives, timelines and financial expectations. The ideal candidate will have sound knowledge and proven experience with green building certifications (LEED, Green Globes, BOMA BEST, WELL) and high performance building design (low energy/Net Zero and low/carbon neutral). This is a customer facing role that requires collaboration with both internal and external resources to deliver project expectations, in addition to developing and maintaining client relationships. This position will work with owner, engineers, architects, contractors and technical support staff.
- Delivery of best in class sustainability and high performance building services
- Manage multiple projects to deliver a quality service on time, and on budget
- Interact with client staff, client principals, architects, engineers, contractors, industry representatives and construction trades
- Facilitate green building certifications (LEED, Green Globes, BOMA BEST, WELL)
- Facilitate, participate and promote an integrated design process
- Manage the delivery of sustainability and analysis services required for the project (energy modelling, daylighting analysis, thermal comfort, envelope performance, etc.)
- Provide technical support and guidance on sustainability and energy related concepts, strategies and design, such as site related issues, stormwater management, rainwater/greywater harvesting, water use reduction, envelope thermal performance, high efficiency building system, renewable systems, waste management, material selection, thermal comfort, ventilation and indoor air quality, daylighting, health and wellness, etc.
- Collaborate with and lead design teams to integrate and achieve high performance buildings objectives (Net Zero, Carbon Neutral)
- Provide guidance and support to clients and project teams on available energy efficiency incentive programs (HPNC, Savings by Design, etc.) and compliance with building code energy efficiency requirements
- Identify and develop sustainability and energy conservation measures including calculations to demonstrate benefits (Life cycle costing, energy and energy cost savings, incentives, emissions, ROI, etc.)
- Develop clear and concise written reports that convey technical information, understanding of the client’s needs and objectives and recommendations to meet these objectives
- Contribute to proposals and various client management activities
- Provide technical leadership to both internal and external teams
- Contribute to the knowledge and professional development of employees in the group, providing mentorship as required
- Lead knowledge and process development initiatives in their area of expertise
- Other duties as assigned
- Diploma or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in Architecture, Mechanical, Electrical or Building Systems Engineering, or Building Sustainability.
- LEED AP with specialty in good standing (BD+C preferred, in addition O+M or ID+C an asset)
- WELL AP and Passive House an asset
- Professional designation (CET, P.T., MAATO, P.Eng). is desired.
- Proven experience (8+ years) providing technical leadership and service delivery in sustainability consulting, green building certification (LEED, Green Globes, BOMA BEST, WELL), and high performance building design
- LEED v4 experience an asset
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of building and building systems performance, operations, design and optimization of energy efficiency and carbon emissions
- Previous design, construction or project management experience on new construction or major renovation projects with important sustainability and energy efficiency objects an asset
- Proven experience working with and managing the interaction between design teams and energy modelling teams
- Experience in energy modelling an asset
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of renewable technologies, energy efficiency, building envelope thermal performance, mechanical and electrical building systems, energy modelling, daylighting, measurement and verification, thermal comfort, indoor air quality and life cycle cost analysis
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of building codes, code requirements for energy efficiency and thermal comfort, and other related standards (ASHRAE 90.1, 55 & 62, NECB, etc.)
- Detailed familiarity with financial incentive programs (HPNC, Savings by Design, save ON energy)
- Experience working on Design Build or P3 projects
- Thorough understanding of construction drawings and specifications
- Ability to compile financial and statistical analyses
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Advanced Excel skills (complex formulas, custom scripting, VBA) a plus
- AutoCAD, Sketchup and Revit skills an asset
- Demonstrated ability to lead/work successfully with small teams and to maintain client relationships
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects, clients, service delivery, timelines and budgets
- Experience in sustainability and green building certification (LEED, Green Globes, BOMA BEST, WELL) services pricing and proposal writing, including applicable incentive programs
- Experience communicating effectively with high profile customers, owners, property managers, design teams, and construction teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Fluency, both oral and written, in English and French an asset
- Exceptional problem solving, time management and decision-making skills
- Self-directed and self-motivated with the ability to succeed in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Desire to learn continuously, work more effectively, and enhance technical and professional skills
- Ability and desire to mentor and teach other team members
- Punctual, reliable, detailed oriented, task oriented, and organized
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about our firm and the projects we have been involved in, please visit our World of Possibilities website listed below.
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.