The Senior Staff Engineer, Standards will conduct advanced research surrounding 5G definition and standardization to directly influence technology breakthroughs across development of Huawei Device smartphones, tablets, and phablets. This role will champion 5G advancements during ongoing collaborations with Huawei’s global research and development (R&D) groups. Responsibilities also include serving as a key industry representative while participating in worldwide conferences, meetings, and workshops hosted by international standards organizations. The position will play an integral part in pioneering the development and promotion of 5G technologies to further mobile ecosystem innovation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Essential Functions
• Explore wireless physical, MAC, and upper layers technologies for 5G systems.
• Provide theoretical analysis, lead innovative technical solution design and simulation, and spearhead intellectual property (IP) development.
• Actively participate in global standards meetings while representing Huawei Device.
• Drive research activities to guide engineering, product development, and marketing strategy for 5G devices demanding high data throughput and immersive multimedia interactions.
• Work closely with Huawei R&D teams in North America and China.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS (Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
Minimum: Master's Degree
Preferred: Doctoral/Professional Degree
Major/Discipline: Electrical Engineer or Computer Science
Relevant Work Experience
Minimum: 5+ years of wireless standards experience or wireless PHY, MAC, or upper layer protocol research experience.
Preferred: 10+ years of wireless standards experience or wireless PHY, MAC, or upper layer protocol research experience.
Skills & Abilities: (Technical or General)
• Comprehensive expertise in 3GPP LTE or 802.11/Wi-Fi standards.
• In-depth knowledge of PHY, MAC, and/or upper layers of wireless communication system.
• Expertise in cellular networking.
• Ability to thrive in a dynamic, innovative, and research-oriented environment.
• Self-motivated with strengths in working independently and in a team environment.
• Excellent communication skills and high level of adaptability.
• Skills in Matlab and C/C++.
• Available for international travel.
• Experience in 5G research.
• In-depth knowledge of advanced DSP technology or 3GPP RAN/EPC architecture and RRC/S1/X2/NAS protocols.
• Knowledge of communication protocols such as Ethernet, IPv4/IPv6, TCP, UDP, HTTP, and UPnP.