Position: Engineer in Training (EIT)
Reports To: Manager, Engineering
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION
The role will be to join a rotational program for Engineers in Training who are responsible to apply their Engineering knowledge to mine construction projects and build their experience to eventual registration as Professional engineers.
This role will have job related tasks that will alternate between an office environment and a site environment to expose the incumbent to the many facets of the mine contracting industry (estimating to project implementation).
The EIT program requires those who are self-motivated, comfortable working in a construction setting and eager to travel to projects on a rotational basis.
The EIT will demonstrate DMC’s core values of: Zero Harm, Building Win-Win client relationships, Investing in People, and Finding Innovative Solutions.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist project engineers in carrying out technical tasks requiring accuracy in calculations, completeness of data and adherence to prescribed methods.
- Prepare plans, designs and calculations based on specifications provided.
- Develop project schedules, scopes of work, execution plans, budgets, and other project management related documents.
- Implement and manage engineering, construction and procurement work by multiple internal and external resources.
- Conduct field work, coordination of construction and commissioning activities.
- EIT assignments will include underground mining work, with the goal of progressively more responsible roles, and completion of the regulatory underground training and supervisory requirements.
- Report to various project stakeholders on project status regarding safety, quality, schedule, and budget.
- Demonstrate commitment to the continued improvement of Occupational Health, Safety and Environment.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Degree in mechanical/mining/civil engineering.
- 2 + years of experience in a similar role.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- A working knowledge of AutoCAD and other design software would be an asset.