POSITION SUMMARY: This position provides support for performing actuarial analysis of Citizens rates, rating procedures and rating plans. Support for reserve calculations and procedures may also be required. The Senior Actuarial Analyst may provide technical assistance regarding actuarial matters to staff in other functional areas and work closely with actuarial consultants.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: THE FOLLOWING ARE THE USUAL, BASIC AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION. THESE FUNCTIONS ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES, AND SKILLS REQUIRED.
• Model ethical behavior and execute job responsibilities in accordance with Citizens core values and ethics policies
• Perform actuarial calculations to develop property and casualty rates that are sound and defensible
• Review property and casualty insurance rates and rate filings to determine compliance with state insurance laws
• Prepare rate filings for the Office of Insurance Regulation in compliance with filing requirements, including assistance in performing actuarial review and certification that filing is appropriate and consistent with applicable Florida statutes and rules
• Determine and define data needed from Citizens policy and claim systems for rate development and reserve analysis
• Determine and define data needed from catastrophe models for use in ratemaking and reserve analysis
• Prepare supporting materials to substantiate insurance rates
• Research and deploy new models and methods for developing rates and estimating claim payments
• Conduct research and draft responses on complaints and requests for information on various actuarial matters
• Research and assist in the preparation of material to support rates and/or the rating process
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Strong analytical and mathematical skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment
• Advanced proficiency of Microsoft Office products including: Access, Excel, Outlook and Word
• Advanced quantitative, analytical, and problem solving skills
• Ability to work in a team-based atmosphere as well as independently when required
• Ability to design reports and information in such a way as to be meaningful to the recipient of the information
• Ability to travel overnight, as needed
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, mathematics, statistics or related subject
• Completion of at least five CAS (Casualty Actuarial Society) exams and actively pursuing an ACAS and two or more years of actuarial analyst or related experience OR completion of at least four CAS exams and actively pursuing ACAS with a minimum of five years actuarial analyst or related experience.
• Strong data mining skills
• Four or more years of actuarial analyst experience in property insurance
• Knowledge and experience with Citizens business and data formats
• Experience dealing with a regulatory body on property rate issues
• Knowledge of catastrophe models
• Understanding of property casualty insurance and ratemaking principles
• This position requires the ability to sit for long periods of time, hear and converse over the telephone, and key frequently on a computer (2 or more hours per day).